Family

Family
Here we are at the Virginia Tech Horticulture Gardens (Photo by Jenna Gill Photography)

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Worst Day of My Life

You know how some people say that this was the worst day of my life, but they're really just being melodramatic? Well, when I say yesterday was the worst day of my life, I really mean it. I racked my brain to think of a day that had been worse, but I couldn't think of one.

On Monday our case worker at DePaul called and said that Montgomery County DSS had decided in it's infinite wisdom to send all three kids back on Tuesday morning. I believe all I did was cry after Brandon told me the news. It had always been the plan for them to go back to their mom, which I was okay with to a certain extent because I thought it would be a slow, gradual process to make sure that all the kids would get the best care they could get. But what happened this week was not in any plan that I had ever heard and it was a shock to me and a shock to the kids. Thank goodness for Brandon - he had already packed a lot of of their stuff by the time I got home...I'm glad he did because I think I would have cried the whole time. The worst part was calling everyone and telling them the news. It was really hard to verbalize what was going to happen because I simply didn't want it to.

Tuesday morning I cried just imagining them leaving in a few short hours. Brandon had to go to work wo when my case worker showed up, I helped her load their huge pile of stuff up and helped them get loaded in the car. About that point I started crying. I couldn't help it. I hugged Colby and went to the house and didn't even watch the car leave because I couldn't bear it.

To top off my Tuesday, I got to the bottom of the neighborhood on my way to work and I had a flat tire. I had to circle back to the house and pump it up. I broke the part of the pump that goes in the cigarette lighter when I was putting it away and had to buy a new one on the way to school. I got a papercut trying to call Brandon to tell him what happened to the tire and fell going up the stairs at school - I caught myself with my knees and forearms.

About the only thing that went right yesterday was the weather. It was a beautiful day so I took Colby to the park where he had a blast and I didn't have to think about my empty house.

1 comment: