Family

Family
Here we are at the Virginia Tech Horticulture Gardens (Photo by Jenna Gill Photography)

Sunday, December 28, 2014

Changing Traditions

When I was growing up we had a Christmas tradition of making peanut blossoms, toffee bars, pistachio cookies and gingerbread men. When I was pregnant with Colby, one of the things I was looking forward to was passing along our traditions including our Christmas cookie tradition. Then my boys were born with PKU and there wasn't a single Christmas cookie that they could eat. It was really hard letting go of those expectations and traditions. My dad said to me sort of wistfully the other night after he had cooked some really yummy oysters that he wished the boys could try them. And I totally get it, daddy. Sharing the foods you enjoy is like sharing some of yourself. One of the easiest ways to share yourself, actually. In lots of ways its sad that we'll not be able to share some things with Colby and Carter.

Q: So what's a mom to do? A: Change the tradition!

The past couple of years I've made peanut blossoms (because I love them), but I've also made marshmallows covered in chocolate almond bark, sugar cookies with frosting (Colby helps cut them out in holiday shapes!) and cracker candy.

I never thought things would turn out like they did, but now veggie straws, formula and coffee creamer in cereal is pretty normal for our house. Fixing two dinners, planning ahead to bring snacks to various activities, and "training" teachers and daycare providers are all things that I do almost without thinking about it. It's so interesting how normal it all feels when compared to my childhood.

Sure, there's some things I can't share with the boys, but there's other things I can that don't involve food - my love of sports (especially baseball/softball and football), my love of reading, and my love of gardening. Ultimately those things will mean more to them than what sorts of cookies we baked on Christmas.

1 comment: