Family

Family
Here we are at the Virginia Tech Horticulture Gardens (Photo by Jenna Gill Photography)

Monday, January 2, 2012

Melson Family Heritage

I went to go visit my parents last weekend. It was nice because I'm not sure if we've been to visit since the summer. Of course I've seen my parents here and there because they care enough about us to come visit occasionally. But I really enjoyed getting to see my grandparents. I don't know if many of my readers know this, but I am highly interested in my family's heritage and love to know where my family came from. I had traced a part of the family (not the Melson's) back to Germany and had been unable to get past the early 1800's with my family. Well, while I was home visiting, my grandfather showed me the work he'd been doing using Ancestry.com and a lot of their census information. He had worked the family back all the way to England to the mid-1500's! It turns out that the Melson's came to the "colonies" back in the late 1600's practically on the heels of Jamestown. It's really neat to see how things worked and how I came into being all these generations later. I hope one day I'll get everything together in one location and maybe even make a book to contain it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment