Family

Family
Here we are at the Virginia Tech Horticulture Gardens (Photo by Jenna Gill Photography)

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Principal Gill

So yesterday I was at school from 8am to 9pm. Of course I worked my normal day slogging through Romeo and Juliet and grading like my life depends on it because grades are due. Then I morphed into Principal Gill and patrolled the sports events that day. Those sporting events were tennis, varsity softball, jv baseball, jv boys soccer and varsity boys soccer. It was a really nice day so I was pretty excited about being outside and getting in some intern hours and grading some papers and watching some of my students play sports - I have four boys who play baseball and two boys that play soccer. The first thing I noticed when I stepped out the door was that it was super windy. It was still warm, but I was concerned about my papers blowing away. I found a seat in the bleachers by the baseball field and graded during warmups. Brandon brought me dinner and we meandered over to softball to eat and watch a few innings. Between baseball and softball the sky got dark, but it was still decently warm. I walked Brandon out and walked over to the stadium for soccer. I watched the second half of JV and I got to watch my two students play. And by watch I mean I graded and looked up when the cheering piped up. It was all good...I could handly a 30 minute half. Then Varsity took the field and much to my dismay their halves are 40 minutes. I settled in, in a non-windy location and continued grading. Then it started to sprinkle. I was thinking great :-( I packed my papers and went to go stand near the concession stand. The way the wind was blowing I was able to stay pretty dry. At the end of regulation the score was tied and I was thinking "damn!" So I decided to go get my car, which was parked at the other end of the school grounds. I got a bit wet walking over there, but I pulled back over and watched the scoreboard until the end of the game from the comfort of my car. We lost the game just in time for it to start pouring, which made me glad I was in my car. I stayed long enough to make sure everyone scattered and went home. I was in my house at 9:15p.m. Now I know why high school principals get paid more money than other levels of principals. A 12+ hour day really takes it out of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment