Family

Family
Here we are at the Virginia Tech Horticulture Gardens (Photo by Jenna Gill Photography)

Monday, February 4, 2013

My Take on Country Music

I very much enjoy country music. I don't think it's depressing - I think it's real, but not necessarily depressing. If someone says "It's so depressing" then I know they haven't listened to much country music, especially lately. Songs I am currently loving that aren't depressing - Gary Allen "Every Storm", Randy Housers "How Country Feels, and Tim McGraw "One of Those Nights". Carrie Underwood with "Two Black Cadillacs" was surprising to me, but not depressing. Little Big Town, Brad Paisley, Miranda Lambert and yes even the Justin Beiber of country music, Hunter Hayes, have turned out some catchy tunes that are also not depressing. There have been a few songs that have come out in the last several years that do get me every time. Miranda Lambert's "Home" makes me homesick. When I'm really stressed and missing my family I have to change the station to avoid ruining my mascara. Before that was Tim McGraw's "If You're Reading This". If you haven't ever heard that song, you should look it up on Youtube. If you're not misty-eyed by the end there's something wrong with you. Lately the song that's been getting me is Lee Brice's "I Drive Your Truck". I first payed attention to the lyrics while I was cleaning the kitchen and I litterally cried. When I'm driving in the car and it comes on I have to hold it back or change the station. I looked up the story behind that song - a mom who'd lost her eighteen year old son said she coped by driving his truck - and now I don't think I'll be able to listen to it again without crying. So yes country music can be sad, but it's about real life...except for a few songs of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment