Family

Family
Here we are at the Virginia Tech Horticulture Gardens (Photo by Jenna Gill Photography)

Sunday, August 17, 2014

Starting the School Year With PKU


Friday was Colby's first day of First Grade! I know he was super excited to hang out with his friends again, go to recess recess and eat lunch with his cool new Spiderman lunch box. But as a mom, I'm much more concerned about what he's going to learn. In order for him to learn I have to manage his PKU. Here's a few basic steps I've learned I must do at the beginning of the school year:

1. Meet with the teacher. The teacher has to be made aware of his food restrictions. They also need to be made aware of how it works in a basic sense - no he's not going to throw up, go into anaphelatactic shock, or get a rash if he eats something he's not supposed to eat, but if he eats something he's not supposed to eat, I need to know so that I can adjust his protein intake later in the day. It's not a big deal if he eats something he's not supposed to eat once in a blue moon, but it is a problem if it happens every day.

2. Contact the cafeteria manager. Colby brings his lunch, but he can eat breakfast at school if he wants to. He's allowed to have cereal or graham crackers and fruit. If the cafeteria manager doesn't know this, then they might make him take something he's not supposed to have. In his school, a note will pop up on the computer screen when he checks out and they'll make sure he takes what he's allowed to have.

3. Send an emergency stash. Things pop up that are way beyond my control. A student might bring cupcakes for their birthday unannounced or something unexpected might pop up. It's important for Colby to have something he can eat in that event. I usually send a box of rice krispie treats for the teacher to keep in the classroom for these unforeseen happenings.

4. Don't forget about after school programs. Colby's after school program gives snacks every day. They need to be made aware of his dietary restrictions as well. Usually I suggest snacks that will work and they usually go with it. It's just a snack after all!

5. Don't be afraid to speak up. If an issue arises, then speak up. Thankfully I haven't had any major issues, but rest assured that if one pops up, I will speak up. Nobody else is going to advocate for him and his PKU, so I'm the one who must.

No comments:

Post a Comment