Family

Family
Here we are at the Virginia Tech Horticulture Gardens (Photo by Jenna Gill Photography)

Thursday, March 24, 2011

I Don't Think I Can Be a High School Principal

At least not right off. I've come to realize that my mentor has something I do not: a deep, strong manly voice that does not allow for arguing. I do fine talking to girls and boys that I've taught in the past, but boys who don't know me want to argue until the cows come home. Today I was talking to a young man I've never taught who didn't want to go to SRC. He cussed and then walked out of class, but he thought he didn't deserve SRC because was provoked. Well I told him he was still responisible for his behavior and he still had to serve his SRC. He argued. I reiterated that he still had to go to SRC. My mentor walks in and says the exact same things that I said and asks the exact same questions and the student doesn't argue. WTF!! I'm irritated because I did everything the same and didn't get the same respect because I am a young woman. Certainly I understand that part of the problem is that I am not an official principal and only an intern. But I really think that this is going to be a problem for at least a few years. Maybe I'll start at a middle school or maybe if I like elementary school I'll aim for that. Who knows. Maybe I'm just over-emotional and sad and sensitive because for the eighth month in a row I'm not pregnant :-(

In other news, Colby is back to potty training. So far today we've had two accidents and a pair of tennis shoes that need to be washed, but I think as long as he doesn't pee on the couch or bed that we're doing good.

No comments:

Post a Comment