Family

Family
Here we are at the Virginia Tech Horticulture Gardens (Photo by Jenna Gill Photography)

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Lazy Saturday

So, I got a kiss from Brandon at 4 a.m., but we're still supposed to be going on our date tonight. I think the plan is to go to dinner and then go see Defiance. It was sort of funny because last night at bible study (yes, I did end up going) someone called it Deliverence - big difference! :-)

Colby was a little fussy last night, but he did well overall. He's such a good baby for the most part and people love playing with him. I just wish he could walk on his own, I think he'd be a much happier baby because he wouldn't have to rely on another person to get where he wants to go. I've been thinking about buying some low protein food for Colby so that I can practice with it. I really want his birthday to be all low protein food so that everyone can taste it and understand that Colby isn't really missing out on anything, he's just going to have different foods and no understanding of what a steak tastes like.

Last weekend I spent some time looking up some stories about what would happen if Colby didn't stay on diet and I'm dismayed to say that the possibility of him going off diet now terrifies me. I don't want Colby to have trouble concentrating, paranoia, schitzofrenia (sp??), anxiety or lose the ability to distinguish between right and wrong. I want him to be as happy and healthy as possible be as an adult. My biggest worry is that people, including friends or family, will inadvertantly make him feel bad about the food he has to eat. Our society makes it so hard to eat differently because our traditions center around food - for Thanksgiving you eat Turkey, for Christmas you have cookies, for Easter you have ham, for July 4th you have burgers. Colby can't have any of that. If our traditions were less food centered, it would be better, but I know that's going to be a slow change. I guess we'll just need to stress to Colby that these holidays are meant for hanging out with family and observing the things that happened in Bible and in our country. It's not about food, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment