Family

Family
Here we are at the Virginia Tech Horticulture Gardens (Photo by Jenna Gill Photography)

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Snow and Other Tasty Treats

Today we got out of school two hours early. Apparently the school system was concerned that it would start snowing before the buses were done dropping off kids (it takes about two hours to finish running the buses) It's 7:15 pm and I can definately say that I haven't seen a single snowflake and would be highly amused if we didn't get anything tonight. I'm not complaining about getting out early...but I would nevertheless be amused if we didn't get snow.

Brandon, Colby and I went grocery shopping. To help alieve some of the money issues we've been having, we've made a commitment to only go grocery shopping once a week and spend less then $100 dollars. So far we're doing well and I haven't made any errant trips through the clothing section. However it is only January 7th, but I'm really going to try to be better at Walmart! (My spending at Walmart is ridiculous - in October I spent almost $700)

This evening I was feeling like some soup so I made some Tortilla soup. It's so easy to make and so good! Here's the recipe if you want to try it.

1 big can of cream of mushroom soup
1 big can of cream of chicken soup
2 can's worth of water (use one of the soup cans)
1 can of green chilis
1 can of mushrooms
half a bag of frozen corn
onion to taste
4 burrito sized tortillas cut into strips

Simmer everything but the tortillas for 20 minutes. Spread out the tortillas on top and cook for about 10 minutes. The tortillas are supposed to sink, but if they don't just push them down and it's fine. You can add cheese and sour cream for a little kick, but it's fine as is. It makes a lot so be prepared to freeze some or eat it for a couple of days. It's SOOO yummy especially when it's cold out!

No comments:

Post a Comment