Family

Family
Here we are at the Virginia Tech Horticulture Gardens (Photo by Jenna Gill Photography)

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Working at Work

Lately I feel like I've been working my ass off at school. I'm not really complaining because normal people go to work and they...work...imagine that :-) It's possible I didn't take my job as seriously last year, but this year I'm really focused on getting these children to learn these skills that they'll need at higher levels. I think it's wearing me out because I care more about the area now that I've lived here for a year, but I also think God has been working on me to give my best in all areas, including my job. I also think that I've realized that these kids are the future. Eventually they are going to make decisions on my behalf so I better teach them how to string sentences together and weave them into paragraphs. I better teach them how a peice of literature can expose them to new ideas. I better teach them that to get respect you have to give respect. In previous years that knowledge didn't seem to touch me, but now it does and I'm taking it really seriously.

Lately Brandon has been doing a lot of reading about becoming self-sufficient. He bought a book called Five Acres and Independance. This has put a lot of interesting ideas in his head and I say interesting because I am also intrigued. Maybe one day after I have my master's degree we'll buy five acres. Then maybe one day we'll try raising chickens, growing a real garden, build our own house...the possibilities are endless. I mentioned this to one of my co-teachers and she laughed at the thought of me living on a farm. Is it really that unbelievable? Am I that much of a city girl? Maybe one day we'll find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment