Family

Family
Here we are at the Virginia Tech Horticulture Gardens (Photo by Jenna Gill Photography)

Saturday, December 5, 2009

Eye Troubles

So, this week has been a little crazy. On Wednesday on the way home my eyes started to become sensitive to the outside light, which was crazy because it was cloudy and rainy and not at all bright. By the time I went to bed, I couldn't even look at the TV and every time my pupil adjusted to the light it felt really weird. In the morning I couldn't look at any light and it was crazy just trying to take a shower. I realized pretty quick that I couldn't drive anywhere muchless teach, so I called in sick and then I called Brandon to ask him to come home immediately (he had worked the night shift Wed. night and was still in Roanoke and was supposed to stay for court). Brandon took me my regular doctor who said there was something on my eye and gave me some numbing drops. I don't know what was in that drop, but it was heavenly and I was able to drive myself to the opthomologist. Now, at the opthomologist office I was the youngest patient by at least 40 years so everyone was kind of staring at me and unfortunately I was an emergancy appointment, so they made me wait for a long while. When I finally got seen, the opthomologist said I have an ulcer on my eye. He said my contacts dried my eyes out and made it possible for bacteria to get in my eye and cause an ulcer. He gave me antibiotic drops which I've been using ever since.

The next day at school all of my students were stunned by my still bloodshot eyes. I told them I got turned into a vampire :-) And some kids joked about what drugs I was on, which wasn't as funny. The good news is, I'm feeling 100 times better and am no longer sensitive to light. I went back to the opthomologist yesterday and again I was 50 years younger than everyone and I had to wait FOREVER. I'm a fast reader, but I shouldn't be able to read over 100 pages of a book while I'm waiting. The good news is, he said my eye was healing well, but if I ever want to stop taking drops for dry eyes, I may have to go back to glasses only. I attempted to explain to Brandon that my glasses make me feel ugly and that I might have to purchase some other glasses that I really LOVE, but I got no sympathy from him (of course he's never had glasses, so what can I expect?).

Anyway, today I still look a little like a vampire, but everything is good. It snowed today while we put up our Christmas tree. Just in case you're curious, the tree is behind the loveseat and a couple of plastic boxes so Colby isn't tempted to pull it down or play with the ornaments. He did a good job putting on candycanes today, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment