Family

Family
Here we are at the Virginia Tech Horticulture Gardens (Photo by Jenna Gill Photography)

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Colby has Allergies

The past two days Colby has woken up looking like a hot mess. His allergies must have kicked in because he woke up snotty and with crusty eyes. He was so cranky this morning that he just stayed home with Brandon. I hope he feels better in the morning because cranky baby equals stressful morning.

Last week we got a patio tent. While Colby was napping Brandon put it up and this evening after Colby went to bed we strung the lights that go with it. It looks pretty cool. I can't wait to clean up the patio and maybe do some entertaining out there.

Amazingly enough I had a chance to read a few books over the weekend. I've been working my way through the Percy Jackson books...yeah I know they're for like middle schoolers, but I wanted to see what they hype was about. They books are based onthe premise that the greek gods are real and they have "relations" with humans like they did in ancient days. The stories follow the life of one boy, Percy Jackson, who is the son of Poseidon. The books are okay, especially if you know a lot about greek mythology. In the second book I was able to predict what would happen next because it was just like reading The Odyssey. But I have this nagging irritation as I read these books - How does God fit into all this? Wouldn't a kid get really confused if they were trying to figure out this religion thing while reading these books? I guess that's why they make parents. I also see why the concept of God would have been so appealing to ancient Greeks and Romans - who wants to worship a bunch of gods who are only out to serve themselves? Don't ge me wrong, these books are good for kids to read as long as there are some helpful adults around to answer questions and as far as I'm concerned, if they read anything it's victory.

No comments:

Post a Comment