Family

Family
Here we are at the Virginia Tech Horticulture Gardens (Photo by Jenna Gill Photography)

Monday, February 2, 2009

Bumps and Bruises

For the first time I got a call from daycare saying that Colby fell and bumped his head. He has a light blue bruise on his forehead now. Apparently he was standing, decided to let go of what he was holding on to and try to walk, but he ended up falling instead. I was worried, but then they said he'd been fighting the ice pack they tried to put on it. I figured if he was okay enough to fight the ice pack that he was okay. He was standing up and seemed alert when I picked him up, so I'll just let him be. It won't be the last time he bumps his head. Plus, I'm proud of my fearless child trying to be independant :-)

Today we had a teacher work day before our new semester. We had an emergency meeting this morning to discuss the problems we've been having with fighting at our school. Apparently we had four times the amount of fights this past semester including fifteen or so in the last six days of the semester. And guess who's behind all these fights - my darling ninth graders - mostly. We're going to be more strict with them and monitor them closely throughout the day, which is a pain, but my opinion is this - if they're going to act like hoodlums, we'll monitor them like they're hoodlums. My thoughts keep going back to my eighth grade year when someone was killed in a fight at the high school I was supposed to be going to. If our new rules can prevent something like that from happening, then I'm all for it. I have zero sympathy for students who think it's unfair that they now only have four minutes to get to their next class, that they are being shooed out of the locker banks without getting to talk to their friends, and that they're being made to go inside the building instead of being allowed to congregate at the bus circle. One day they'll understand that school is for learning and the only thing they should be worried about is their grades - not whether they're going to die when they go to school.

Side note: It's snowing outside! Maybe we'll get a two hour delay tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment