Family

Family
Here we are at the Virginia Tech Horticulture Gardens (Photo by Jenna Gill Photography)

Thursday, February 5, 2009

It Feels Like Monday

All day I've been feeling like it's Monday. Clearly it' not, but I just have to keep reminding myself that tomorrow is Friday (yay!) and then I have two days off (yay!).

Today started off with a two hour delay, which means I got to watch the Today show for longer. I have to admit I cried over a story about a Down syndrome kid who got to play basketball for the last game of his high school career. I was impressed by the student who gave up his starting spot so that Patrick could play and I was impressed by the student body who chanted to have him put back in the game in the second half and stormed the court at the buzzer. I know my kids are a pain, but I am now convinced that every student that walks through my door is capable of doing so much good. It's my job to give them opportunities to do the good and see the good in themselves. I realized at school that making them see the good is a hard, hard task that most teachers don't try to tackle. I think that sticking to teaching your subject is easier, but what do they get out of that? Sure they'll know the grammar rules, vocabulary words and the stories you've taught, but what have they learned about life when they leave? What have they learned about contributing to their community? What have they learned about doing the right thing even when nobody is lookings? I'm sure that student who gave up his starting spot didn't know he was going to be on national television. I'm sure the student body didn't think they'd be in the national spotlight. But because they learned to do the right thing, they were.

Oh, and just in case you were wondering how these new tighter rules worked out at school - I think the kids were weirded out that so many teachers were watching them walk the locker banks. I think because we watched them like hawks, they moved faster. Some kids didn't seem to understand the reasons we were doing it, but maybe in time they will. My concern right now - what will happen when the kids get tired of it and decide to fight in the cafeteria where the have to stay in the morning until the bell rings?

No comments:

Post a Comment